Add to Google Reader or Homepage

The Live-in Caregiver Program is a special program whose objective is to bring workers to Canada to do live-in work as caregivers when there are not enough Canadians to fill the available positions.

A live-in caregiver is someone who provides care to children, the elderly or the disabled in a private household.

Successful applicants receive an employment authorization allowing them to work in Canada as live-in caregivers. After two years of employment, which must be completed within three years of the caregiver’s arrival in Canada, program participants can apply in Canada to become permanent residents. They may be granted permanent resident status provided they meet certain requirements.

Do you have more questions? Visit our Forum: CAREGIVERS in CANADA.


There are three main requirements you will have to meet to qualify under the Live-in Caregiver Program:

  • Successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian high school education. This requirement will help to ensure that participants who apply for permanent residence after two years will be able to succeed in the general labour market. Studies indicate that the majority of new jobs in Canada require at least a high school education.
  • Six months of full-time training or 12 months of experience in paid employment in a field or occupation related to the job you are seeking as a live-in caregiver. You may have gained your training or experience in early childhood education, geriatric care,pediatric nursing or first aid, to name just a few areas. You may have completed your training as part of your formal education. In order to meet the criteria for experience, you must have completed one year of full-time paid employment, including at least six months of continuous employment with one employer, in that field or occupation. This experience must have been obtained within the three years immediately prior to the day on which you submit an application for an employment authorization to a visa officer.
  • Ability to speak, read and understand either English or French. You must be able to function independently in a home setting. For example, you must be able to contact emergency services if required and to understand labels on medication. You will be unsupervised for most of the day and may be put in a position of having to communicate with someone outside the home. A good knowledge of English or French will also enable you to read and understand for yourself what your rights and obligations are.

Subscribe in a reader Family Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
I heart FeedBurner