On April 1, 2011, Service Canada has introduced new rules and regulations under the ’Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP).
In order to keep you up to date with the relevant changes that may concern your employment of a foreign caregiver, please note the following:
1. Any contract / work permit extension required to continue the employment of your present caregiver for another year (or more) must be processed 6 months ahead of the date of expiry of the present work permit.
The procedures with Service and Immigration Canada will take approx. 6 months to complete.
Note: If the caregiver has already applied for a permanent residence status, asking Immigration Canada to provide an ‘Open visa’, there is no need to apply for a new work permit as long as the caregiver will continue working for the same employer.
2. The B.C. provincial government have already announced the new minimum wage rate that applies for the live-in caregiver program in B.C.:
- a. Effective May 1, 2011, the minimum wage in BC is $8.75 gross per hour
- b. Effective November 1, 2011 the rate will climb to $9.50 per hour
- c. Effective May 1, 2012 the rate is set to be $10.25 per hour
Note: The room & board deduction has not changed – $325.00 monthly ($150.00 bi-weekly).